I made this video while at the Lance Armstrong Foundation Headquarters in Austin, TX to help people understand why tanning is an unsafe way to get your vitamin D.
- Your skin needs UVB to make vitamin D.
- Many tannning beds use little or no UVB, so they wouldn’t increase your vitamin D levels.
- Tanning beds increase your risk for melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and basal cell carcinoma skin cancers.
- Vitamin D3 supplements at doses of 1,000 to 2,000 IU are readily available.
- Supplements have been proven to safely increase and maintain high levels of vitamin D.
Make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation and win a chance to see Lance in France at the Tour de France.