Babies are much smarter than adults. They understand the importance of sleep.
In case you need a reminder, here are 8 reasons to get more sleep:
1. Anti-Inflammatory: Sleep reduces inflammation which means it can help with inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and acne.
2. Pain Blocker: Studies have shown that lack of sleep lowers our pain threshold, while increased sleep can lower actual pain. Aim for 8-9 hours a night, especially if you’re in chronic pain.
3. Fend Off Cravings: Sleep helps regulate leptin, an appetite-regulating hormone, which means more sleep leads to less hunger and fewer cravings.
4. Increased Willpower: When you’re tired, you’re more likely to eat poorly, drink more alcohol, skip exercise, and make other unhealthy choices. Sleep better and you’ll feel less tempted.
5. Increased Weight Loss: #3 + #4 = #5.
6. Fewer Headaches: Lack of sleep is a known trigger for headaches, especially migraines. Aim for a regular sleep schedule, and try to take short 10-20 minute power naps when a headache hits. It can help take the edge off.
7. Beauty Sleep: Yes, there is such a thing as beauty sleep. Sleep helps repair your skin. Ever notice how flush and vibrant your skin looks after a restful sleep or nap? So splurge on some 800-count thread sheets. Doctor’s orders.
8. Better Sex: It’s well known that many people skip sex because they’re too tired. It’s not as well known that lack of sleep can increase cortisol levels which can lower testosterone and your libido.
Photo credit: FCC, tokyosucks